Monday, January 26, 2009

My Believes, Our Family, and a Disclaimer

I believe each one of us has an obligation to research our own diets out. For Celiacs, a gluten free diet is a life time way of life. We need to continuing to learn, because new information is always coming out. It is a good idea to continue to read the news, because what was safe yesterday, may not be safe today. Also, check manufactures and stay connected with organizations that are always on top of the news and research. If something doesn't sound right or I have a question I can't get an answer to, I like to check with GIG National (Gluten Intolerance Group).

I also believe that we are to encourage one another. In this wonderful country we have the freedom to make our own individual choices. One person's health food is another person's poison. What one person can tolerate, others can not. My prayer is that people will remember this and learn to respect each other.

What ever I post on this site has worked for my family. I want to encourage others and help them to see things as a possibility and not as they are doomed with this type of life-style. Please take care to do your own research, make your own adaptations, and make your own diet and health decisions.

I sometimes forget to make notes. Here are some things to keep in mind about this blog...

--My family can tolerate small amounts of Casien. We use butter without clearifying it. But you can clearify it and remove all protiens if you chose. I also use soy cheese that does have a small amount of casien in it and have not noticed a problem.

--We do occasionally use Toro - Taste Like Real Food. This product does contain a small amount of wheat starch in it. I checked with GIG National and they said that the leveles were so low that one would have to eat 5 bags of Toro in one day to cause damage in the gut. I don't think anyone is going to do that. It is also expensive and so we reserve it for occosional use.

-- I am very allergic to pork. There will be no pork, gelatin, or pig parts in any of my recipes. I use turkey ham, bacon, lunch meat. I do use ground turkey more then beef, because beef was a problem in the begining of our diagnosis and I am too afraid to eat it more then 2 times a week. For those who love pork, I am glad you can enjoy it, but it is not for me.

-- When I post a link to a recipe, I made the adaptations I needed. I often forget to note that. If I forget, please post a comment asking how I adapted it. I would be happy to respond.


I wish all of you good heath, peace, and happiness
Sheri

No comments: