Sunday, January 25, 2009

Our Group Won

I submitted a recipe to Toro - Taste Like Real Food Contest for the Best Use of Whole Meal Bread. You can view all the winners at http://www.tasteslikerealfood.com/latest/

You can also view all of the winning recipes at http://www.tasteslikerealfood.com/baking-contest-winners.html

I made Drop Buiscuits and sent the recipe in September 2008. They were so good that I had a feeling about them. It was such a treat to enjoy buiscuits again. It was the first buiscuit that the kids and I had for 3 years.

Here is the recipe for OUR AWARD WINNING DROP BUISCUITS!


Drop BiscuitsWinner: Best Use of Whole Meal Bread
Preheat oven to 425 F

1 1/2 cup of Toro Whole Meal Bread Mix
1/2 cup of corn starch
2 tsp xantham gum1
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup milk, soy milk or rice milk
2 large eggs

1. Grease cookie sheet well.
2. In medium size bowl, add the dry ingredients and mix well with a fork. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, blend in the butter, milk and egg until well blended. Add the dry ingredients and blend the dough until well blended. Mixture will be sticky.
4. Dip spoon in water and drop dough onto cookie sheet leaving enough room for biscuits to rise and spread while baking. (I use a cookie/ ice cream spoon with a release. Forming a 1 inch drop biscuit seems to bake the best.)
5. Bake in pre-heated 425 F oven for 12 - 20 minutes depending on the size of the biscuits. Biscuits are done when they have a nice brown look on the top.
6. Cool and enjoy.


Visit us at our groups website - Gluten Free Kids R.O.C.K. http://gf-kids-rock.tripod.com/

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Disclaimer: Toro does contain wheat starch. The levels are under the standard. According to GIG National, you would have to each 5 bags of Toro's mix in one day to cause damage in the gut. It is very unlikely one would eat that much in one day.

Sheri

Sheri said...

Another thought.
Remembering all of the food problems I had the first year after my diagnosis, I wouldn't have tried it until I was sure that my gut had healed enough. When I tried it on our family, most of my food intolerance's were gone.